Nicholson Museum & Art Gallery
Dating back to the 1880’s the Nicholson Museum & Art Gallery dominates the skyline of Leek and today is home to a collection of impressive oil paintings, ceramics, local history and a fine selection of the famous Leek Embroideries.
In days gone by many distinguished figures passed through the doors, including renowned Arts & Crafts designer William Morris and D. H. Lawrence along with other celebrity artists and writers. Famous faces from all over the world came to the Nicholson Museum & Art Gallery where it came alive with music recitals and lectures by the likes of Oscar Wilde and John Betjeman.
Come along and visit the Nicholson Museum & Art Gallery where throughout the year you will find a regular rolling programme of exhibitions and events. Delight in stepping back in time to enjoy some of Leek’s facinating history.
History of the Nicholson Museum & Art Gallery
The Nicholson was officially opened on 16th October 1884 and cost £20,000. It was commissioned by Joshua Nicholson, a local mill owner, who bequeathed the building as a gift to the people. It housed a museum, library, art gallery and school of art. Joshua Nicholson wanted to give the ordinary people an alternative to the Public House.
The building was designed by the Leek based architects William Sugden & Son in the Queen Anne style. Sugden was also the architect for other inspirational buildings which give Leek its special character. Incorporating an art gallery, library and now a museum, the Nicholson is one of only three buildings in the country which is being used for its original purpose. Guided tours of the Nicholson can be arranged for a minimum of four people. Please call the library on 01538 483209 to make an appointment.
Open Monday – Saturday: 10am – 4pm
Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays
For more information contact:-
The Tourist Information Centre
tel: 01538 395530
web: Nicholson Museum & Art Gallery
Nicholson Musuem & Art Gallery, Stockwell Street, Leek, ST13 6DW